This year we are excited to introduce our first ever 10-second film festival! Read the rules, grab a camera (or cell phone), and make a (very) short film to submit to our contest! All eligible entries will be screened on loop during the festival and the three winners will be announced on Saturday, September 17. Prizes will be awarded and the winners will have their films posted on the Project North website and social media channels.
Why only 10 seconds? That way it’s easy for anyone to participate and have fun with it! If you’re not sure how to tell a story in only 10 seconds, here are a few examples of even shorter films to get your creativity flowing.
If you’re ready to jump in, then make sure to read all the rules and then submit your film by the end of the day on September 15, 2022 using the form below. Contest is free to enter! Late entries will not be accepted.
The films will be judged based on the following criteria:
- Artistic Merit (story, creativity, entertainment, etc.) — 50%
- Technical Merit (sound, lighting, framing, etc) — 25%
- Adherence to the Assignment (following the rules) — 25%
Winners will be announced during the official awards ceremony at the Main Stage at 5:45pm on Saturday, September 17. You do not need to be present to win.
All eligible films will be played on loop on the second level of WXPR next door to The Cybernetic Forest art installation from 3pm-9pm on Friday and 11am-9pm on Saturday.
Winning films will be posted on the Project North website and social media channels.
MAKE SURE TO INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING
And include the text "Made for the 2022 Project North Festival" somewhere in the film.
- THEME: This year’s theme for the contest is “The Art of Nature.” You are welcome to interpret this phrase however you please.
- ELEMENT: You must include an arrow in your film in some way. Bonus points if it matches the Project North logo!
- TEXT: The following text must be included somewhere in the film: “Made for the 2022 Project North Festival.”
- Video must not be longer than 10 seconds in length (this doesn’t include your credits, but keep them short too).
- Landscape framing is preferred (in other words, turn your phone sideways).
- Contest is free to enter and you are welcome to enter more than one film!
- Films can be any genre (Comedy, Drama, Documentary, Etc.) but must be family friendly (no strong language, gore, nudity, adult themes, etc).
- All entries must be received by the end of the day on September 15, 2022. No late submissions will be accepted.
- Contestants may submit as a solo or group, but only one prize will be awarded per entry.
- Each video submitted must be the contestant’s original work and must not contain any copyright material unless proof of permission or licensing is provided. A great place to find free sound effects and music is YouTube’s audio library.
- Contest is open to filmmakers of any skill level.
- We recommend that you make sound levels relatively even throughout your film. (If your film has uneven sound or sound that peaks, it may be modified to protect the playback equipment.)
- You are responsible to ensure the safety of everyone involved in the production of your film.
- If applicable, you must secure releases for talent, crew, music and locations and may be asked by contest organizers to submit any releases you have obtained.
- Project North reserves the right to utilize submitted films for any promotional materials and online media, at its sole discretion.
- You do not need to be present to win.